Thursday, August 9, 2007

I Like My Job?

I was forced to take a last week off from my job at the postal service. The reason for this is illogical, so there is no point trying to explain it. It has something to do with being a transitional employee. This is one of the many dehumanizing things about my job at the postal service that make most people in my position dislike the position. I however, love my job. When I am told I have to work 12 hours on Christmas Eve, or when I'm sent home after 2 hours on a day when I have nothing else to do, I like to appreciate how efficiently the postal service runs. I've made this sound like I'm being bitterly sarcastic, but the truth of the matter is, I really respect the way they do things. The postal service is subsidized by tax dollars, and I'd like you all to know, that at my facility, your money is being well managed. If there is mail to key, I work until its keyed. If there is no mail, I don't work. This really isn't what I meant to talk about but now that I am, I think I'll finish. I think it would be easy to think that because we're part of the federal government we're wasteful and not motivated by market factors. This isn't true. We are in competition with other REC (Remote Encoding Center) facilities in the country. A poster is made each week showing how we compare in keying speed, idle time, and most importantly, cost per 1000 pieces. When a facility is too expensive, it is closed and the mail that was keyed there is sent to one of the cheaper facilities. In the past year, two RECs were closed, leaving just seven RECs in the country, of which the SLC REC is by far the largest. One of my favorite things management does to save money is not communicate with the employees. There are almost never any meetings, performance reviews, or parties. Everyday is exactly like the previous one. I go, I type, I come home. And I love it. Some other time I'll go into why this really is, which is what I intended to write about here, but got side tracked. Sorry.

No comments: